Re: [compost_tea] Fussy Worms . . . or what??

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:45:49 -0800 (PST)

How did that long lean body work, surfing? Bob ( grin )

soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:Yep, that dip when the bacteria and the fungi are both growing.... As long as it isn't for too long, it's probably not a concern. Wish I could study it more, however.

If the other foods your were adding were disappearing, then the lettuce has to have been sterile. Nuked in some way, possibly with nitrogen gas. The lettuce mixes they sell in the store are washed in chlorine, and then dropped into nitrogen gas atmosphere in the bags. May drive things really sterile, but who knows for certain? May make them un-palatable for the worms, since the worms actually eat bacteria and fungi, not the plant organic matter.

The high temps are not a problem for the microbes - unless you run out of water, or food. The microbes are really cranking, FAST, in this weather. It is hot and HUMID!!! I know because I'm here trying to live through it! When the power goes out, and the air conditioning dies, it is not pleasant.

Still, I've been getting some sunshine hours in! A big wave tried to make me do a head stand the other day. Water drained from my sinuses for about an hour....... What fun. (that was sarcasm). Think I'd learn to be more careful in the waves......

No surf board this time, not enough time to be out in the water before burning to a crisp. Just body surfing.

Elaine

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
Click Here