Re: [compost_tea] Fussy Worms . . . or what??

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:40:50 EST

IHi Scott -

> Didn't a surfer get chewed up by a shark down that way?

Yes, one did, about a week ago. This is tropical Australia, which means the
big guys are out there. I stay in the areas marked for surfing, or swimming,
on days like today. But the waves were just too big for me and the rip was
too vicious. Other folks were catching some good waves - some 10 footers - but
I'm just not strong enough for these conditions. I walked the beach, and
played in the waves, and that was it.

> The lettuce mixes they sell in the store are washed in chlorine, and then
> dropped into nitrogen gas atmosphere in the bags
> So how good is chlorine-tainted food for humans?

Chlorine is a good microbe-killer, which means we lack the right biology to
stay healthy when we eat food treated with these materials.

> that dip when the bacteria and the fungi are both growing.... As long as
> it isn't for too long, it's probably not a concern. Wish I could study it
> more, however.
> If you can't get someone to set up a brewer next to the Lismore Lab so that
> you can study it more, then I'll have to bring my equipment down, and while
> I'm out playing golf, Merline can take a sample every 30 minutes. Will this
> give you the information you need?

We need to have the dollars to pay technician time. Amazingly enough, my
staff expects to be paid for the time they spend staring through the microscope,
and won't work long hours for free! So not only do we need the brewers, we
need the money to pay for the technical assessments.

> Elaine - has anyone brought in Teas to be tested in which EM has been used?
> I've just bought some EM and I'm reading up about the different ways of
> using it. Any suggestions?

We have done some testing, and I'd like to do more. The EM bacteria
out-compete the human pathogens. There's a good paper that shows this, but USDA
types, and Will Brinton, seem to feel that a single demonstration that there isn't
a problem is not adequate, whereas a one-time demonstration that E. coli grows
in compost is adequate to mean that all compost has to be treated like it
could kill you! Geez!

People HAVE to start complaining about this silliness with their
congressional representatives. Please, they need to understand that there are bureaucrats
trying to protect their jobs by making us feel threatened by things that are
minimal risks, as opposed to things that really need to be paid attention to!
Example? How about drunk drivers? You have more likelihood of being killed
by a drunk driver any day of the week than being harmed by the vague
possibility that properly composted material will contain E. coli, or that E. coli
could re-grow after something is poorly composted.

Anyway, the silliness I have to deal with from some people is just too much.
There are days I just want to give up, especially when people are not making
the least effort to change the situation with their representatives.

Elaine Ingham