Re: [compost_tea] Re: 131 degrees Farenheit heated compost for 3 days

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:51:26 -0800 (PST)

Good post, Henry. Bob

Henry Karczynski <vanilla_at_racsa.co.cr> wrote:Re: 131 degrees Farenheit heated compost for 3 days

The NOSB Organic Standards require that compost temperatures must reach
131 degrees farenheit for a minimum of three days for organic farm
creditation purposes. The 131 F. temperature was decided on by NOSB is
to eliminate potential human pathogens like E. Coli. This requirement
must be documented by the farmer in the "audit trail" and presented to
the organic inspector. This same compost is later used to make aerobic
compost tea as a vehicle to utilize the compost for fertilization
and/or disease suppression. "Where's the beef"? As long as we are
treating the compost according to the NOSB requirements then how can
they later claim the product is unacceptable? I think argurment should
be incorporated in our representation's observations to the NOSB.

Henry Karczynski
Villa Vanilla/Costa Rica

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
Click Here