[compost_tea] Re: Mowing Orchard

From: ericgoodenough <sfo_at_gwi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:17:10 -0000

There may be good reasons to mow and orchard, but there are good
reasons not to mow or to delay mowing, also. Her are some reasons
not to:
1. less work/expense
2. a lush pasture is habitat for many beneficial insects.
3. in the fall, that tall "brown" pasture could layed-down for a
nice cushion for your fruit and then activated with a fall
application of good fungal tea. The green grass will be less skewed
toward the fungal food sources that, of course, an orchard will
prefer.
4. composted wood chips are a good mulch material and provide
excellent fungal foods over time. A soil built in such a way may not
need as much mowing to "prevent competition".
5. Leaving the grass and "weeds" to grow tall is a pretty good way
to harvest the help of the sun (read: carbon) for the same reasons
people plant green manures. Orchards like "brown" manures.

Of course, there are some who appreciate the aesthetics of a well-
mown lawn. This may be all the reason to mow that one needs.
However, there are some pests (roundheaded apple tree borer and
meadow voles as examples) that love the additional cover around the
bases of trees. So it may be a good idea to knock the thatch down
periodically (after harvest here on our orchard.)

Actually, we are considering pasturing sheep in our orchard because
they will provide a good form of N, will graze close to the trees,
will eat dropped green apples with with pest larvae and they will
provide us with entertainment, not the least of which is well-
mineralized lamb! We will be sure to leave hedgerows with lots of
weeds, roses and Umbellifera sp. (yarrow, wild carrot, Queen Anne's
Lace) as beneficial insect attractants. I would love to hear from
anyone with experience with sheep in orchards.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_y...> wrote:
> Is there a good reason to mow? Back on the farm we left the grass
to grow and lay like a mattress. The grass at 9" cushions my body
while I gaze skywards. It cushions the apples so when they are at
the peak of ripe and juicy and fall I can pick them up, unbruised.
Love that deep grass!!. Bob ( I fantasize having that kind of
time)

> Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_g...> wrote:<<<<In a orchard situation should
one mow the orchard before appling CT
> or after.The grass is about 9 inches high.>>>
>

> Jeff L
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Service.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511