[compost_tea] Re: ACT lab numbers

From: kevin john richardon <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2004 04:28:53 -0000

One to the negative sixth exponent.

Write the number one. Move the decimal place to the left six times.

One millionth.

Counting individuals in an mL and extrapulating a measurement is another art involving field size inrelation to sample preperation and methodology.
Get to a lab and hang out; you'd love it!

~Kev

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:53:10 -0000 dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "kevin john richardon"
<kmagic_at_b...> wrote:
> B & F are measured in ug/mL: micrograms per milliliter.
>
> 1ug = 1e-006g

What is 1e-006g besides 1ug? you really lost me on that one. Dennis

PS I had a few questions on down a ways in your original message esp
about direct microscopy. Thanks.

 These numbers are generated from direct microscopy. The scope
counts are entered into a data base which generates the mass per
volume measurement. From what I gather, this is a proprietary
equation developed with experience over time. I am uncertain of the
standard deviation. A couple visits to the lab helps with
understanding this. The techs are very generous. My explaination is
quick and dirty.

> Hyphal Diameter is measured in um: micrometers.
>
> Protozoa and Nematodes are actual numbers per mL.
>
> Compost used was Alaska Humus. The numbers on their website are:
>
> AB191 TB421 AF34.4 TF1228 HD2.5
>
> This data is not from the exact compost used for compost tea sample
#97815. Plus we activated the Humus with oatflour 5:1. Note that
measurements of B & F are in ug/g units when measuring soil or
compost.

> Peace~ Kev
>
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 21:55:25 -0000 dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_y...>
wrote:
> --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "kevin john richardon"
> <kmagic_at_b...> wrote:
> >
> Hey Kevin thanks for the info. Do you know what the units are on
the
> AB,TB,AF,TF,HD,T,F,C and ON? I have questioned this before and
> didn't get a total grasp on the subject. Like the TB and TF comes
> xxx ug/ml.That's similar to density of a solid material as
xxxg/ml.
> I've seen bacT reported as xxx cfu's but not ug/ml before coming
here
> to ACT "land". How does the lab get density of microbes? Are they
> actually weighed in a volumetric container as the units indicate?
> Thanks in advance. Dennis Kemnitz
>

> PS And what was the compost data? ie what did you start with in
terms
> of total bacteria and TF?Dennis
>

> Kirk,
> >
> > You really aughta check this:
> >
> > 65AB 11,008TB 19.7AF 102TF 3.5HD 17F 14A 1C 0N
> >
> > SFI Compost Tea Foodweb Analysis #97815
> >
> > This was produced as you suggest below. The container was a 60G
> barrel. Pretty whimpy!?
> >
> > Are the numbers above the most life that 3.7cfm can support? As
> recall, DO during this brew flirted with the prescribed lower
limit.
> A DO meter of high quality would be necessary to determine this.
> Though I believe that this is the info we really are talking about.
> >
> > Not air/Gallon. Air/Biomass.
>

> That's right!! you have living organisms wanting and using that air
> not the water.
> Dennis
>

> Do Protozoa or Nematodes consume more air in proportion to their
> total biomass? Less? These are reported as numbers per mL in the
> lab analysis report.
> >
> >How do you count the protozoa and nematodes in a ml of solution.
> Look at 6 fields on a scope, average and multiply by MF?Dennis
>

> Temp probably could influence this. And of coarse I can only
> speculate as to the efficiencey with which the aerators are
diffusing
> O2 into the water.
> >
> > Yet, the numbers above have hardly any Protozoa and no
Nematodes.
> So, can we say that, ballpark 11110 ug/mL (TB+TF above)is how much
> biomass 3.7cfm will sustain?
> >
> > ?At that temp and with your specific B and F.!!!!!!!!Dennis
> >

> Have you seen this system in action? It roils.
> >
> > ~Kev
> >

> > What's the diff, Kirk?
> >
> > Kevin - One is in the extractor, sized well for the tube; the
same
> thing in
> > an open
> > tank is not sufficient, imo. Sure the air's going in but the
> distribution
> > dynamics are real different. I think you need more than a
single,
> small
> > nozzle to aerate a
> > full container.
> >
> > -- Kirk
> >

> > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor -------------------
--
> ~-->
> > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
> Lexmark
> > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US
&
> Canada.
> > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM
> >

> > Kevin John Richardson
> > Local Solutions
> > (781) 834-0474

> Kevin John Richardson
> Local Solutions
> (781) 834-0474

> Sign up for our BACKPACKER.com's FREE newsletter and learn about
new hiking getaways, gear, and outdoor skills. Go to:
http://www.backpacker.com/newsletter

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511