Re: [compost_tea] Organic Compost Tea - NOSB posted report today

From: L Blair <rlbct_at_clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:28:09 +1200

MessageThis document signals to me the need to name the process of aerobica=
lly aerating a mixture of water, biological sources and possibly additiona=
l nutriests, where the dissolved oxygen never drops below 6ppm.
Claiming to be a scientific approach, the document makes a fundamental erro=
r in grouping all forms of ct and act under the term "compost tea", and the=
n purports to discuss the merits.
Even where it refers to the aerobic form, it fails to indicate the levels o=
f oxygen involved.
It is useful to the extent that it fairly comprehensively covers most of th=
e issues. As a scientific document, it fails. I am surprised at finding t=
hese conclusions from this document.

We do need to come up with a name ("x"). When I say that I have sprayed "=
x", it means a minimum of 6ppm oxygen for the duration of the process. It =
means the process lasted for a minimum period (to be defined). It means th=
at the product was applied within a maximum period of time. It might even =
mean that the 6ppm minimum was maintained up to the point of spraying.
Ok, maybe I'm going a bit overboard, but you get my drift?
If the ppm drops below 6, call it compost tea. Then there is no confusion =
with traditional ct. Then people can't just say "oh act, ct I'll just refe=
r to ct in this discussion".

So we've had a go at this "name" game already. Lets have another go, leavi=
ng out the term "tea" and maybe also "compost".

Do I have any names? Well, I'm not up on classical literature, where we mi=
ght find some inspiration. There could be some name that implies something=
 of the good intention behind what is being done.
Some sort of god of plants or health? Or copy the drug companies, and come=
 up with something completely new?

So what is the purpose of act? To innoculate leaves and or soil with diver=
se beneficial organisms?
Healthy plants interact with their soil environment via symbiotic organisms=
. In the wider sense healthy soil has this diversity that we look for or i=
ntroduce.
I guess what you have taught us is that healthy plants interact with their =
atmospheric environment via symbiotic organisms.
So what is it called when we introduce beneficial orgainisms to an environm=
ent?
What do we call the substance we apply?

Lynton