[compost_tea] ACT and odor control in biosolids

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:09:47 -0700

Steve et al:

Odors are a problem that ACT does NOT address. We proposed that we would g=
et some odor reduction but just using tea on open drying beds doesn't work.=
  There is no odor reduction. We did get some odor mitigation when we used=
 greenwaste mixed with tea. Much greenwaste is quite fragrant and when chi=
pped or ground, these odors partially mitigate the smell of the drying beds=
. However, the volumes of biosolids are such that true odor control would =
require in-vessel composting and odor scrubbing of the air used to aerate t=
he material.

Every once in a while, a biodigester will go bad. They call it "sour" in t=
he industry and it is a condition where the bacteria in the biodigester eit=
her dies off or unwanted bacteria start multiplying. It can haapen to both=
 anaerobic biodigesters and aerobic biodigesters. When that happens, the w=
hole digester has to be shut down and new bacteria introduced and the diges=
ter cleaned, repopulated with bacteria and new sewage introduced for proces=
sing. This is a smelly process and the cause for most complaints WWTPs get=
.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that ACT can do in this case.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE