[compost_tea] Re: Perceived risk of food-related hazards

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncat.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:33:22 -0000
Dennis -

I will try to reply with the limited information
available.

Here is the section from CTTF:

"Compost tea made with compost tea additives can be applied
without restriction if the compost tea production system
(same compost batch, additives, and equipment) has been
pre-tested to produce compost tea that meets the EPA recommended
recreational water quality guidelines for a bacterial indicator of
fecal contamination (US EPA, 2000). These indicators and the passing
criteria are Escherichia coli (126 CFU/100ml) or enterococci
(33 CFU/100ml). At least two compost tea batches must be tested
using accepted methodology (APHA-AWWA-WEF, 1999; US EPA, 2000),
with the average population of indicator bacteria across compost
tea batches used as the measurement of passing."

I know you said that you can read this yourself.

All I can add is that the indicators come from EPA
standards, as noted above and in the citations.

Dr. Patricia Millner with USDA-ARS is an expert on
these matters and provided the pertinent EPA standards.

I don't have anything more to add on CTTF, Dennis.

Feel free to contact me off list if you wish.

Best wishes,
Steve Diver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "dkemnitz2000" <dkemnitz2000@y...>
wrote:

> > As far as the specs, it says it right there in CTTF.
> >
> I know they're there .Da!!!!!!Read my questions,then answer if you
> have it,don't delete them and think they've gone away.....How did
you
> arrive at that number? Why? What's so hard about that question?
> Apparently it was just pulled out of thin air. I Hate to speculate
or
> ass u me but I see CTTF has no answer. I only mostly asked fffor
> historical data.  Where's the science that you refer to on the home
> page of compost_tea? As in data,recipes,brewers,DO,pH,temp.,
etc.Test
> methods,specifics,data ,range,defect level,standard deviation,data,
> average,sampling
> technique,procedures,accuracy,precision,collaborative testing.  ACT
> was interesting until these regs arrived.  I see no science
involved
> in your CTTF spec regarding E.coli testing.   Someone wants us
> producers to pay for the data.   Now I did get close to ruffling my
> feathers! Anybody elses?      Dennis

Yahoo! Groups Links