Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: CTTF testing requirements

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:44:05 -0400
If testing of tea is done, it has to be predictive of whether higher or lower bacteria or fungi will benefit the growth of the plant.

That's what we have done at SFI - showed that if you have certain minimal levels of organism biomass, then, when applied as foliar sprays, the leaf surface will be protected.  That's why the bacterial and fungal testing can be useful.

Same for soil - we have tested tea and compost to show that with organisms biomass at or above certain levels, we get benefit to the plant.

Doesn't do us any good if we don't know what the biomass levels MEAN relative to plant growth.  That's why everything at SFI has to relate back to the impact on the plant you are trying to grow.

But, with the NOSB, we need to document pathogen levels in the compost and in the tea.  So, can we put our heads together and develop a testing program that will put NOSB fears to rest.

Once we have that human pathogen concern laid to rest, or at least a clear program of how to alleviate concern, then we need to get back to the demonstrations of benefit to plant growth, given different climates, soil types and plant cultivars.

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Links