Re: [compost_tea] RE: Application rate

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 12:40:46 -0400
Hi Mike -

I don't think I was saying compost TEA was the way to get the calcium back into the soil.  Compost is the way to get the calcium into the soil.  At less cost and more effectively than adding inorganic sources of calcium.

Compost tea, made with compost with elevated calcium in it, over the course of the summer, can elevate soil calcium levels, but not from the leached-out low levels most soils in your part of the world are at to begin.  Compost tea might be the way to maintain calcium levels, once you have them back to where they need to be.

Having the biology to retain Ca is critical, however.  If you don't get the biology into the soil, and keep the organism active, you will still keep leaching out the Ca.

OK?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR