[compost_tea] Re: Hay question...

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 01:26:14 -0000
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Chuck Lund <north32nd@y...> wrote:
> When referring to hay as a source of protozoa, what is the crown?
Is it the top part with seeds or the bottom part near the ground?

The crown is the point at or just below the surfaceof the ground
where the stem and the root join. New world dictionary

> Also, any idea if it matters whether the hay is green (freshly cut
from the field) or dried (bailed)?

> Mowed green, dried  and used.  Except are you using the crown?
You'd almost have to hand gather the crown. Dennis

One more;  I've been using alfalfa as a mulch in places and find it
works quite well in maintaining moisture and bringing up earth
worms.  But so far, I've found no resource for organic alfalfa.  Any
knowledge on what typically may be sprayed on alfalfa and if it would
be an organic concern if used on vegetable beds?

They spray 'icides here  (KS) on alfy to kill alfalfa worm/weevil.  I
sprayed molasses and ACT too late I think, to kill the worm as my new
fall planting died.  It didn't have much chance of surviving  as the
alfy was nearly all brown when I sprayed this spring. The spray I
used appeared to knock the worms down but the alfy is still brown, I
think.  Takes a lot of time and money to get all the right stuff
done.     Dennis

I'm in the sometimes rainy Northwest and like to get a layer of
mulch on the garden immediately after harvest and before a Winter
cover crop gets going...