Re: [compost_tea] Re: Hay question...

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:48:20 -0700

Dennis:

Unless things have changed significantly, I don't think ACT can kill worms.=
  I may be wrong here but I don't recall any post or research that indicate=
d that ACT could kill anything. It might prevent an infestation but once y=
ou got it, treat it with a pesticide. Get your preventative program starte=
d early.

I use alfalfa for a lot of things. It is a great indicator crop because to=
xins and pesticides show up in it really well. It is also a good water use=
 indicator crop for other things. I brew with alfalfa hay and in CA, I don=
't recall that any is sprayed with any kind of pesticide because horses eat=
 it and there are a lot of hunter-jumpers, rodeo and show horses here. The=
y all buy the same hay so I doubt it has harmful levels of pesticides. I d=
on't know about any worm infestations in Alfalfa or Oat hay grown in CA. =

My youngest daughter is in pro rodeo (Wendy Peterson if you know rodeo) and=
 she has 9 horses. The biggest problem she is concerned with is bot flys. =
 I asked here about the hay because I wanted to use it in brewing. I asked=
 the same question. "Where do I get organic hay." Well she looked at me li=
ke a hog would look at a wristwatch and said that all hay was organic. I d=
on't think she understood the whole certification process and organic farmi=
ng.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE