Re: [compost_tea] Hay question...

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:52:00 -0400
Hi Chuck -

> When referring to hay as a source of protozoa, what is the crown?  Is it the top part with seeds or the bottom part near the ground?

The crown is the bottom near the ground, thick growth where the stems come from the roots.  This is the area that the protozoa like, as well as the VAM fungi.  You can find lots of VAM spores (if the plant is colonized with VAM), and lots of protozoa.

> Also, any idea if it matters whether the hay is green (freshly cut from the field) or dried (bailed)?

If the hay is stored properly, it doesn't make a difference.  The protozoa go dormant, which means they encyst, and make it through the dry times.  The dry hay is a bit safer, since then any diseases usually die off in the dry period, so you have less likelihood of transmitting any disease.

Of course with the green, as long as you keep your eyes open, you should be able to see any diseased stems, and pull them out before growing the protozoa.

Please realize that there is a protozoan inoculum on hte market - James Sottilo is selling a good protozoan inoculum.  His website is treewise.com, I believe.

> One more;  I've been using alfalfa as a mulch in places and find it works quite well in maintaining moisture and bringing up earth worms.

Excellent!  Thank you for the info!  The earthworms are probaby attracted to the fungi and bacteria growing on the alfalfa, and the moisture being maintained is helping them stay alive once there.

Insecticides (white flies, aphids, leafhopper I suppose) and herbicides are about all I know of being applied to alfalfa.  Anyone else know?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY