Re: [compost_tea] Bacterial mulch and fungal mulch

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:44:39 -0400
Hi Betsy -

> So what mulch materials could I use that would
> encourage bacteria that are good for the brassicas? Mulch tends to be C material, and what they need is N.
> Or can I drench my straw mulches with bacteria-rich tea and
> somehow alter the balance that way?

Use the tea to push bacterial biomass.  But I would bet your soil is already very bacterial, and the broccoli likes the fact it is getting some fungal improvement with the straw.

Remember, bacterial-dominated does not mean there are no fungi.  It's balance.  Your soils in Israel are VERY bacterial.  Use the mulch to help the fungi that broccoli need.

For comfrey - that is a plant that requires much more organic matter in the soil, and needs a more fungal condition.  Build the soil for compfrey production by adding LOTS more plant material, and use a tea that pushes fungi a great deal.

OK?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR