Re: [compost_tea] Bacterial mulch and fungal mulch

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:05:23 -0400
In a message dated 5/17/2004 12:27:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, melauter_at_earthlink.net writes:

> BTW, they were
> growing giant cabbages in Alaska long before ACT bobbed up.

The soil is the important difference.  What is the soil, in Alaska where they grow the giant veggies?

Alaska Humus.

Doesn't matter how you get your microorganisms to protect and help your plant, and build soil structure.  They just have to be there, and be balanced correctly for the plant's needs.

People have destroyed the soil there too, by over-applying pesticides, fertilizers, etc.   and then no more giant veggies.

Long day-length is NOT the sole answer to larger veggies in Alaska, although it can help, if the soil is great too.  Many places with long day length in this world, and they don't grow giant veggies.  So, long day length is not the key.  It can help, but is not the explanation.

So clearly, ACT is not the sole reason plants grow well.  No one has claimed that, and it would be nice if people wouldn't attempt to tweak others for things they never said.

ACT is an easy way for lots of people to move the right microbes to the right places.  Still have to pay attention to many factors, but it's less expensive than most alternatives.

Ah, but not all alternatives in all cases, right?  Compost can be less expensive (it you grow your own starting materials), and make your own compost.

A single compost addition has a longer positive effect on your soil than a single tea applicaiton.  So....... what suits your purpose, your situation and your time best?

The contributors to this list give you the ability to begin to choose what is best for your situation.  Not all the answers have been figured out yet, and there's lots of trial and error yet to be done.

But if we work TOGETHER, we'll get all of our questions worked on, and maybe answered.

But as I have pointed out sometimes, wouldn't we all be bored if all our questions were always immediately answered?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY