[compost_tea] Bacterial mulch and fungal mulch

From: BT Benjaminson <btbenj_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:58:49 +0200
Hi all
New on the list.
I'm a small market gardener in Israel. I grow mainly kale and other
brassicas during the winter rainy season, and squashes during the dry
summer. I've been mulching with straw and the kale doesn't do so well with
it in some cases. But the mulch is absolutely needed in this climate,
especially in the summer, to keep the soil life alive.
I just read the Elaine's book and learned that brassicas like bacterial
tea...and so I imagine they don't like the heavy fungal quality of the
decomposing straw mulch. So what mulch materials could I use that would
encourage bacteria that are good for the brassicas? Mulch tends to be C
material, and what they need is N.
Or can I drench my straw mulches with bacteria-rich tea and somehow alter
the balance that way?
Also I am concerned that the pesticide residues on the straw (I can't get
organic straw) will kill any microbes from a tea application.
Finally, since I can't get much kelp here and my comfrey seeds don't seem to
like it here, so I am thinking of using a local pioneer plant--a kind of
sticky-leaved relative of asters--to make some kind of soup to add nutrients
to a tea that will be based mainly on worm compost. What do you think of
that idea? This plant seems quite adept at living on nearly bare limestone
rock, so it must be rather full of mineral nutrients.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Betsy Benjaminson

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here