[compost_tea] Re: cOMPST VS COMPOST TEA EQUIVILANT

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncat.org>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:53:13 -0000
One inch of compost is an astronomical rate of
application per acre.  It would be over 200
tons per acre.

A normal application rate -- in farming -- is
5 tons per acre, and is not even measurable in depth.
It is a dusting of compost on the soil surface.

One cubic yard of compost covers 324 sq. ft. at 1" depth
(based on a commercial compost chart)

That would be 134 cu. yards per acre.
(based on 43,560 sq. ft. per acre)

Yet, keep in mind that a guide to "weight" of
compost weight is 1200 lbs per cubic yard;
varying from batch to batch by moisture and
bulk density.

Thus, you can multiply each cu. yd. by 1.666 times to
get an equivalent weight in tons.

Here's another way to figure.

Cubic yards required to cover 1,000 sq. ft.

= 0.75 cu. yds at 1/4-inch layer
= 1.5  cu. yds at 1/2-inch layer

You could apply 32 cu. yds of compost or 53 tons
of compost per acre at the 1/4-inch rate of application.

Anyways, I see what you're getting at, Jeff.

I'm just not sure how to calculate a comparative
number.

I've found it helpful to discuss the small volume of
compost substrate needed to make a larger volume of
compost tea, and then how you can dilute this tea
for an application over a broad area, thus achieving
inoculation of beneficial microbes, soluble nutrients,
and bioactive substances that promote plant growth.

Further, you can compare Non-Aerated Teas at 1:5 c:w
volume ratios vs. Aerated Teas at 1:10 up to 1:20 or
1:50 c:w volume ratios.

Ideally, I'd like to see both compost and compost tea
applied, in combination.

Steve Diver

P.S. Assuming my calculations are all correct.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff@g...>
wrote:
> Bob,  what I was thinking is how much compost would you need to
cover an acre 1 inch deep....if 5 gallons of tea can do an acre.......

> Jeff

Yahoo! Groups Links