[compost_tea] Re: Anaerobic boy crosses over

From: Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:56:51 -0000
Hi Robert (I assume),

My 'pond' is actually at ground level and therefore can be drained.
I am attempting to copy a system I observed which has been producing
high quality tea (attested to by the plants) for several years. It
is a 5000 gal. above ground swimming pool using a 2 hp irrigation
pump through a homemade venturi. The farmer uses nothing but his
compost tea; no fertilizer of any kind. He has overcome some very
serious deseases and has better yield than ever.

You did not comment on proportions of ingredients.

Regards,
Tiyel

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Robert Norsen <bnbrew@y...>
wrote:
> Welcome Titel -  Your use of a 1500 g pond rather than a tank is a
change worth thought.

> Emptying and cleaning the open air "kettle"  will be different.
All cleaing water will be  pumped out.  Can you have a floor drain
in the pond to  make it easy to pump it all ?

> IMO You should be thinknig air driven aeration, air driven
extraction not a water pump.  A water pump will drive the microbes
thru a pump repeatedly.  Kill a bunch with each trip.  Water pump OK
to pump out the ACT but that is just one such trip.  Our 1500 brewer
uses a 2 or 3 hp regen blower to furnish enough air to keep the DO2
at aerobic levels, extract from the compost and induce
circulation.

> Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_h...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm brand new to this group and may irritate some with my
> ignorrance. As the subject infers, I have been making soil
> ammendments fermenting anaerobic microbes utilizing EM. Recently I
> have been experimenting with brewing batches of aerobic compost
tea.
> Some batches have been successful and some not. Success being
> ascertained by a clean sweet smell, light amber color and gobs of
> persistent foam (yeast?) on the surface. The materials used are;
> fresh spring water, 10 liters of worm castings/100 liters of
water,
> 225 ml of fine kelp, 225 ml. of fine rock phosphate, 225 ml. of
> pyrophylite clay powder, .75% black strap molasses, a fine mesh
poly
> bag, a 50 gallon plastic barrel, an aquarium airator and a jet
pump.

> My next step is to a 1500 gallon homemade plastic lined pond and a
> 1.5 hp irrigation pump (for brewing and delivery to crops). I am
> especially wondering if I can cut back on the amount of molasses
I'm
> using because at .75% I'm going to use over 9 gallons per batch.
> I am having some trouble finding information on the internet,
> including the archives of this group, regarding ingredients and
> proportions. Should I use powdered eggshell? in the water or in
the
> bag? I would appreciate any input available to this greenhorn.
>
> Oh ya, about the anaerobic ammendments. I've been having success
> combining it with compost tea. Success being ascertained by happy
> shiney leaves and spongy (sp?) soil. If I can get my pond system
> functional then we can do some real testing over the next couple
of
> years.
>
> Regards,
> Titel