Re: [compost_tea] Re: Anaerobic boy crosses over

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:53:34 -0700 (PDT)

I have no problem with your ingredients. Your farm friend may grow well with his pump / venturi system. And yours may also work. But if you kill 10% of the microbes you are tryng to cultivate in yor ACT every trip thru the pump, even as fast as they grow the result will be reduced by the pump. And Will the pump inject as much DO2 as your colony needs? Pump venturi systems are not very efficient at injecting DO2. Lots of energy with little air. But do what you wish. Bob

Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com> wrote:Hi Robert (I assume),

My 'pond' is actually at ground level and therefore can be drained.
I am attempting to copy a system I observed which has been producing
high quality tea (attested to by the plants) for several years. It
is a 5000 gal. above ground swimming pool using a 2 hp irrigation
pump through a homemade venturi. The farmer uses nothing but his
compost tea; no fertilizer of any kind. He has overcome some very
serious deseases and has better yield than ever.

You did not comment on proportions of ingredients.

Regards,
Tiyel

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Robert Norsen
wrote:
> Welcome Titel - Your use of a 1500 g pond rather than a tank is a
change worth thought.

> Emptying and cleaning the open air "kettle" will be different.
All cleaing water will be pumped out. Can you have a floor drain
in the pond to make it easy to pump it all ?

> IMO You should be thinknig air driven aeration, air driven
extraction not a water pump. A water pump will drive the microbes
thru a pump repeatedly. Kill a bunch with each trip. Water pump OK
to pump out the ACT but that is just one such trip. Our 1500 brewer
uses a 2 or 3 hp regen blower to furnish enough air to keep the DO2
at aerobic levels, extract from the compost and induce
circulation.

> Titel Ryzhomer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm brand new to this group and may irritate some with my
> ignorrance. As the subject infers, I have been making soil
> ammendments fermenting anaerobic microbes utilizing EM. Recently I
> have been experimenting with brewing batches of aerobic compost
tea.
> Some batches have been successful and some not. Success being
> ascertained by a clean sweet smell, light amber color and gobs of
> persistent foam (yeast?) on the surface. The materials used are;
> fresh spring water, 10 liters of worm castings/100 liters of
water,
> 225 ml of fine kelp, 225 ml. of fine rock phosphate, 225 ml. of
> pyrophylite clay powder, .75% black strap molasses, a fine mesh
poly
> bag, a 50 gallon plastic barrel, an aquarium airator and a jet
pump.

> My next step is to a 1500 gallon homemade plastic lined pond and a
> 1.5 hp irrigation pump (for brewing and delivery to crops). I am
> especially wondering if I can cut back on the amount of molasses
I'm
> using because at .75% I'm going to use over 9 gallons per batch.
> I am having some trouble finding information on the internet,
> including the archives of this group, regarding ingredients and
> proportions. Should I use powdered eggshell? in the water or in
the
> bag? I would appreciate any input available to this greenhorn.
>
> Oh ya, about the anaerobic ammendments. I've been having success
> combining it with compost tea. Success being ascertained by happy
> shiney leaves and spongy (sp?) soil. If I can get my pond system
> functional then we can do some real testing over the next couple
of
> years.
>
> Regards,
> Titel