Re: [compost_tea] Papaya latex

From: Lloyd Charles <lcharles_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:06:53 +1000

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Lowenfels
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 6:34 AM
  Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Papaya latex

  Hi Gerardo! I am coming back in January and Feb...let's hope we can get =
Hank to set up something again!

  Papaya latex sure looks like it is an antimicrobial, wormer etc....I foun=
d this on the web, not that we can believe everything we find there. Based =
on this and the other stuff I found, I agree with your assesment. However,=
 properly composted, it might be fine????

  Cheers,

  Jeff:

  Hi Jeff & Gerardo
                          ????? Interesting but just because papaya is an e=
ffective antimicrobial outside its natural environment doesnt necessarily m=
ean it is harmful to soil organisms? Tea tree oil is one of the strongest n=
atural antimicrobial - been used successfully against resistant staph aureu=
s in hospitals, but there is plenty of soil activity going on in the soils =
where it grows, nothing in nature happens in isolation, which also means th=
at pot trials to test something like this are of very dubious value - too m=
uch interference leading to un natural conditions in the pots!.
  Cheers
  Lloyd Charles