[compost_tea] Re: organic ingredients

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:09:21 -0000
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "John Cowan" <vivax@n...> wrote:
> Just caught up with the last few days of messages.
>
> A thought: When added materials to CT, compost or soil you might
want to
> consider the quality of that particular ingredient. Soybean meal or
flaxmeal
> that has been extracted with solvents probably has trace residues.
Even if
> it was expeller-pressed it has been cooked and de-natured. How
excited is
> any living creature going to be about that. If you are going to try
using
> milk-- what milk?

Cow's milk,unpasteurized,non-homogenized,and probably w/o
butterfat,not denatured by heat and hopefully not denatured due to
high acids during the brew(of ACT) at least to the point of making
yogurt.  I'll be using proteins, sugars and Ca++.
  Dennis Kemnitz

Regular store bought? Facilitative bacteria can grow on
> many substrates. Thinking in terms of only the nitrogen or "organic
matter"
> or other single factor something contains does not consider the
whole
> picture of what that material is. That's why when Elaine says (I
believe)
> that when a small amount of mineral is digested in compost or
compost tea it
> is just as effective as a much larger amount it is because of the
quality of
> its form. Generally, the closer something is to being "alive" (less
> de-natured) the more effective it will be as food for other
organisms.

> John Cowan

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here