Re: [compost_tea] Re: Papaya latex

From: Lloyd Charles <lcharles_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:52:02 +1000

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gerardo Sanchez
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 7:45 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] Re: Papaya latex

  John, Jeff, Lloyd and all list members:

  You touched some points whose importance I may have under or overrated.

  1) The latex is not been thrown directly to the soil, it is the peelings =
that are been thrown.
  2) Even if the green papaya peelings may cause some superficial damage to=
 the soil it may eventually be naturally "brewed" by organisms and not affe=
ct substantially in-depth organisms and roots.
  3) some fungi attack the green papayas while in the tree, that means that=
 the effects of latex, as of most substances, is selective.
  4) The peelings are not thrown again to the papaya trees but to other tre=
es.
  5) and more important, nothing as a good compost at near 70 degrees Celsi=
us to make the peelings into good compost to be used later to make tea comp=
ost.
  yes! compost always better, but nature does manage quite well if we stand=
 aside and let her