Re: [compost_tea] tropical soils

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:25:07 -0400
Hi David -

Grin!  I enjoyed your answers!

>Now that isn't quite fair either. Mammals are only one class, whereas <= BR> >microbes take up several complete phila and divisions. And you really <= BR> >should be fair to buffalo, because you don't want to piss one off. I've= seen what a slightly annoyed one did to a pickup. The pickup lost.

My husband worked in Wind Cave National Park on a nematode project and we h= ave some great stories about tourists and buffalo.  Tour bus, lone buf= falo standing in middle of road, bus couldn't get around, honked, no respon= se.  So bus edges up to the buffalo, and tries to nudge the bull out o= f the road.  Buffalo turns, looks at bus, and BAM!  Continues sta= nding in road while bus driver has to call for another bus.

Don't mess with buffalo.  They are definately bigger.  But, in te= rms of biomass, the microbes have them beat.  Most people just don't t= hink of the little critters are having anywhere near the importance of buff= alo, or cattle, or people.  Eye openers are useful.

>But they wont let us keep the oyster shell.  You have to shuck them o= n
>the beach and leave the shell as substrate for the oyster spat. I'm >hoping that clam, mussel and crab shell (which we can keep) will be >almost as good. Of course, I could always go and just spend the $10 on = a
>sack of crushed oyster, but there is no way that it can be as good as <= BR> >the fresh shell that you get yourself by digging in the mud.

Yes, clam, mussel and crab shell are just as good.  And with some = ; protein still attached makes the shell better.

>It is kind of interesting that most of my hobbies revolve around eating= and playing in the dirt.

Grin!  We must have similar brains!  Dirt, food, family.  Ye= p.

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or