[compost_tea] Re: more on soil chemistry facts & USNOP

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:44:28 -0700
Carbon!  Carbon is fundamental and no one has mentioned it so there it is.
Everything organic is built around carbon, right?  Carbon and nitrogen seem
magical in different realms.   I believe Doc E when she says all "nutrients"
are available everywhere and am not surprised to hear about supplements that
solve problems quickly.  Look forward to hearing from Doc L.

Great discussion happening, too.

Meanwhile, on an earlier, different thread, I'm doing a compost recipe
exercise and looking for more info on C:N ratios.  Found a table googling
last night, new info ostensibly, turned out to be a klep from 1992 "On-Farm
Composting Handbook."  Can anyone point to another source of C:N and weight
+ moisture info for organic materials?  Is it time for an update?

Heard via Oregon Tilth that US National Organic Standards Board may be
considering the April Compost Tea Task Force report at their meeting next
month.  Anyone have any skinny on that?

And has anyone heard anything about compost tea from USNOP?  I'm sure
methionine and hydrolyzed extracts and pet foods (per their agenda) must be
important but compost tea seems more broadly important.

For anyone who doesn't know, the US National Organic Program (USDA) would
still apparently like to banish compost teas as an organic practice.  (Huh?)
They tried in 2002.  We need to say more this time around.

Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links