Re: [compost_tea] Fusariam Blight?

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:00:26 EDT

The mix of 18 species was grown in lab culture condition, mixed into a liquid
form, and then sprayed out. The information I was talking about was the
abstract that Jeff put up from the APS meeting.

The leaves of the plants were incolated with the disease before application
of the bacterial bio-pesticide.

None of the control methods gave 100% control. The bacterial mix was equal
to or better than the chemical control method.

Which says that if we have that mix of bacterial species in compost tea,
which is quite likely, then a quite similar control of disease could occur.

I just object to the patenting of the organisms in the mix.

There is NOTHING patentable about the process of culturing and mixing these
organisms together for a sellable product. Therefore, the only thing that can
be patented about this product is the mix of species. And you and I paid for
the development of this product because htese researchers were supported by
your TAX DOLLARS.

Explain to me why someone can patent something when WE paid for the
development. The argument that it would not have been done otherwise does not hold
water, becuase they clearly did the research with your tax money, were paid to do
the research. The government agency that funded the work is not being
re-imbursed.

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., Oosterbeck, The Netherlands
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa