[compost_tea] New Member checking in...

From: Mike Barnett <dreadlox_at_cwjamaica.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 01:49:23 -0600

Hello Everyone,

I would like to introduce myself, I have been a member here for a few months
now, since researching more on compost teas and brewing.

I am a former International Installations Engineer, now living in Jamaica,
and design and build sustainable and renewable energy and integrated
bio-systems.
I am also the volunteer Technical Manager for a Christian Young Mens Home,
and training center, which operates an eco-farm, which is in the making as
we speak. I hope to do a lot of work with compost tea there, as I have been
convinced that this thing will work.

I was with this group a few weeks when a bit of flaming began, wasnt nice,
but it helped me understand the "camps" and the issues which are "out
there..".
It sure helped me understand a bit too for myself what to look for.... when
trying to define or quantify what makes up good tea.
Maybe I am so fired up about this new area of my interest, that I am hoping
to see this group focus on the good and necessary and leave out the rest.
Hopefully, I can contribute by asking a few, (maybe lateral, or off-tangent
questions) By the level of expertise I see here I must say I am honored to
be asking questions of such wise teachers.

I have recently had a stack of aerated compost ready, but this got real
drenched during the recent Hurricane Ivan.
Maybe that can be the first question I ask?
#How soon after a thorough drenching, at 250km/h rains can a compost be even
thought to be able to "restore" microbial activity? Or should I just
"condemn" this batch and work with some new compost?

I also have some literature here which speaks of brewing and indigenous
micro-organisms, and the use of rice bran as a substrate. I dont have rice
in this area where I am.
#WHat would make as good a substrate for the micro-bacteria and fungi as
rice bran that I can find here in the tropics??

For those who wanted some info on mycorhiz. spp in soils here is a good
article...

http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0604/factsheet.shtml

Mike Barnett-Bischof
JAMAICA