Re: [compost_tea] Drip irrigation

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 18:02:32 +0800
Alan,
Thanks for that detailed response - great stuff.
The risk associated with blocking someones irrigation system by using
biologicals  and ACT is very real and potentially very expensive. With T
tape it is not as much of a problem if you are replacing each year.
So the more info on this the better.
Thanks again.
regards Mike Harvey

From: "Allan Balliett" <igg_at_igg.com>

> Mike -
>
> I use the Fertrell fish. Sorry, I don't know more about it than that.
> I use the 'trimester' approach. I usually irrigate for 1.5 hours
> every other day to get my 1inch per week. I fertilize one day a week.
> I used a paint screen that I insert into a 5gal bucket to screen my
> compost tea and fish and yucca. I let the system run clean for .5
> hour, and then use a Mazzi injector to put the fert into the system
> for .5 hours and then I let the system run clean for .5 hours. It has
> been said that the yucca is what is cleaning the system, but I don't
> know. I've been irrigating every other day since the end of May. I'm
> using t-tape brand .45gpm tape off 12psi regulators..
>
> I do not use phos acid to clean the system.
>
> It is standard to replace t-tape yearly here.
>
> Doe this help?
>
> >Allan,
> >Was the fish hydrolysate type (thus containing more oil) or the other
sort?
> >Allan how many weeks have you been doing that- running the fish through
the
> >system?
> >What flushing regime do you use? Do you use phos acid to clean the system
at
> >all?
> >Some liquid fish can be quite high in oils being the most beneficial  for
> >fungi and these seem to be the ones that cause the problems. Generally
> >comercial drip irrigation systems use 100 mesh filters and these are
easily
> >blocked using liquid fish.
> >Systems that have been built especially for organic type materials such
as
> >liquid fish would be the ideal.
> >I have used ACT through normal commercial hort operations drip irrigation
> >without any problems- however the t tape is replaced every year (they
move
> >the patch).
> >regards Mike Harvey

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor