Re: [compost_tea] New Member checking in...

From: Andres Yver <yver_at_entelchile.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:19:09 -0400
On Friday, October 8, 2004, at 03:49 AM, Mike Barnett wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I would like to introduce myself, I have been a member here for a few
> months
> now, since researching more on compost teas and brewing.
>
> I am a former International Installations Engineer, now living in
> Jamaica,
> and design and build sustainable and renewable energy and integrated
> bio-systems.
> I am also the volunteer Technical Manager for a Christian Young Mens
> Home,
> and training center, which operates an eco-farm, which is in the
> making as
> we speak. I hope to do a lot of work with compost tea there, as I have
> been
> convinced that this thing will work.
>
> I was with this group a few weeks when a bit of flaming began, wasnt
> nice,
> but it helped me understand the "camps" and the issues which are "out
> there..".
> It sure helped me understand a bit too for myself what to look for....
> when
> trying to define or quantify what makes up good tea.
> Maybe I am so fired up about this new area of my interest, that I am
> hoping
> to see this group focus on the good and necessary and leave out the
> rest.
> Hopefully, I can contribute by asking a few, (maybe lateral, or
> off-tangent
> questions) By the level of expertise I see here I must say I am
> honored to
> be asking questions of such wise teachers.
>
> I have recently had a stack of aerated compost ready, but this got real
> drenched during the recent Hurricane Ivan.
> Maybe that can be the first question I ask?
> #How soon after a thorough drenching, at 250km/h rains can a compost
> be even
> thought to be able to "restore" microbial activity? Or should I just
> "condemn" this batch and work with some new compost?
>
> I also have some literature here which speaks of brewing and indigenous
> micro-organisms, and the use of rice bran as a substrate. I dont have
> rice
> in this area where I am.
> #WHat would make as good a substrate for the micro-bacteria and fungi
> as
> rice bran that I can find here in the tropics??
>
> For those who wanted some info on mycorhiz. spp in soils here is a good
> article...
>
> http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0604/factsheet.shtml
>

> Mike Barnett-Bischof
> JAMAICA

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the group!

Folks, Mike is a frequent and valuable contributor to the aquaponics
list, and is doing great work in Jamaica. He has a kind and lively mind.

Have you tried sugar cane bagasse as a substrate? On Maui there were
some people that used it as a substrate for mushrooms. Worked really
well. They run it through a chipper first. The organic guys used it as
a substrate (after harvesting the mushrooms) for eisenia worms before
making tea. They also tossed in all the waste from their commercial
vegetable farm, 'weeds', elephant grass, rotting guava, old yellowed
taro leaves, water hyacinth from the fish ponds, etc.

andres

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links