RE: [compost_tea] Re: G.S. I . Tea results, Hi everyone, Dr.e ,ted ,steve,thanks for the help

From: Tom Jaszewski <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:45:08 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: David Hall [mailto:dchall8_at_texas.net]
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 2:04 PM
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [compost_tea] Re: G.S. I . Tea results, Hi everyone, Dr.e ,ted
,steve,thanks for the help

Regarding Las Vegas turf, perhaps fescues are not the best grass for
your area.

[Tom Jaszewski] Perhaps, is likely an understatement. However in the world
of ornamental horticulture, and urban resort maintenance we don't often hav=
the luxury of deciding on the what "best for the area" is or even have a
choice. Even given the choice isn't that somewhat subjective? That being
said there is no other substitute for 12 months of green a turf type that
then requires overseeding in the fall.

Rule number 1 for successfully growing stuff is to pick
well-adapted plants.

[Tom Jaszewski] Interesting if you have the luxury of following "rules".
Actually I find that to be a somewhat misguided judgment. In the world of
golf, estate, and resort management we learn to culture what has been
installed.

I can see where using compost tea would be a
great short cut to getting the beneficial microbes in place. Still
after considerable in depth discussions with many professional turf
caretakers using pure chemical programs,

[Tom Jaszewski] I'm not certain they would be the best choice for assessing
sustainable practices..

I believe the microbes are
not a consideration to the ability of soil to absorb water to great
depths.

[Tom Jaszewski] Sorry Dave but you're just flat out wrong, and I don't thin=
it's well thought out to base your opinion on that single experience.

 I'm as organic as I can be, and I evangelize as much as I
can, but on the subject of deep watering, there is too much evidence
that turf under pure chemical programs can be watered deeply if they
purposely develop that capacity.

[Tom Jaszewski] I'd like to read that evidence, could you point it out? I
would argue that without adequate soil biology, in many soils, we would dea=
end the process. Before ACT and high quality compost most soils here NEVER
allowed for the development of deep roots. Often in urban landscapes the
soils are so compacted that water alone will never break the soil open or
develop structure in soils.

  Can microbially balanced soils be
watered more deeply? No doubt, but for the purposes we're talking
about here, I don't see the infrequent watering as giving you a
marketing edge for compost tea. That's all I'm saying.

[Tom Jaszewski] That may be true in you experience. However in 20 years of
experience with urban soils it simply IS an edge.

David Hall
San Antonio, TX

[Regards,

tomj