[compost_tea] Re: G.S. I . Tea results, Hi everyone, Dr.e ,ted ,steve,thanks for the help

From: David Hall <dchall8_at_texas.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:26:09 -0000

I'm sensing resistance and hostility to what apparently is a new
idea here.  Some wise person recently told me that a man would not
hear a new idea unless he already believed it.  That statement was
made with respect to someone who did not want to learn about soil
microbes.

We have to go back to the original statement and get back on track.
I'll admit without apology that I tried to conserve electrons and
replied to two different messages in one and that might have
distracted us (referring to the Las Vegas grass).

The original statement was made to the effect that by using compost
tea a person had changed his watering schedule from daily watering
to watering only 3-4 days per week (isn't that every other day?).  I
believe the statement was made as a marketing strategy to
demonstrate the effectiveness of this person's compost tea.  I
disagree with the idea that tea is necessary OR sufficient to extend
the watering interval so I wrote to suggest a perhaps more effective
marketing strategy based on overall cost.  In the past I used to
believe compost or compost tea was both necessary and sufficient to
extend watering cycle, but I have since been convinced otherwise as
explained previously.

Anyway, after I made my suggestion, Tom took the thread along the
lines of soil compaction, soil structure, capacity to drain,
improving soil, opening soil, latent ability of the particular soil
to extend the watering schedule, and Tom's experience in the
industry.  But in truth, we really don't know squat about any of
these factors in the original situation.  Thus when I suggest that
there is a non-tea related way to extend the watering schedule and
Tom comes back with all these different possibilities, I'm having
trouble responding.  Actually I'm never at a total loss for words,
but to respond to each combination and permutation would be to mire
down in the topic.  That's where we are now if I'm not mistaken.

We've all spent years opening our minds more and more to the
miracles that soil microbes can perform.  I don't know about you but
every success story about tea makes me hungry for more.  I LOVE this
soil biology stuff, but I sometimes find a non-tea method or
material that achieves a great result.  All I'm suggesting is that
in addition to normal tea working on a wide range of normal soils to
lengthen the watering schedule, there is also a mechanical way to
achieve a similar result in similar soils.

David Hall
San Antonio, TX