Re: [compost_tea] Re: G.S. I . Tea results, Hi everyone, Dr.e ,ted ,steve,thanks for the help

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:30:22 -0800

Guys:

I submitted a whole report based on this same work. It was done for the Ci=
ty of San Luis Obispo and if you want a copy, email me and I will send one =
again. I have proven that using compost tea to increase root depth and mas=
s by revitalizing the soil structure through the work of aerobic bacteria a=
nd fungi, water savings up to 25% can be realized. In addition, yearly or =
semiyearly applications of chemical fertilizer can be eliminated with no de=
trimental effect to the turf. A water management plan is important and mos=
t cities use some form of irrigation program that uses temperature variants=
 and evapotranspiration to determine water usage.

Most traditional turf management program effectively mangage turf to a dept=
h of 4 inches. These programs are very good but limited by the turf manage=
ment paradigm being used. When you use compost tea with or without VAMS, t=
urf root zones increase and more of the root is available for feeding. A s=
imple thought experiment will show you what this means:

The top approximately 1/3 of the root feeds the rest also feeds but lower r=
oot is mostly involved with water acquisition. If your root is 4 inches de=
ep, it means that the top 1.5 inches of the root is available for feeding. =
 If you can get the root down to between 8 and 12 inches, you expand the ro=
ot feeding zone to 2 to 4 inches and have more root extracting water from d=
eeper in the soil. There is a limit here though because under about 18 inc=
hes, there is very little O2 in the soil so the bacteria you need for feedi=
ng don't live there. However, root depth can successfully go into the zone=
 below 18 inches because the plant can access water down there.

So what you need to do with a water maintenance program is get the water de=
eper without applying so much that the water is lost through surface poolin=
g evaporation and run off. Actually run off can be successfully used in yo=
ur water management program so that water that would be applied to areas th=
at receive run off can be significantly reduced.

I developed a computer model of two projects I have done like this. The re=
port covers the first park. The computer model was developed using that da=
ta and tested on the second park with complete success. The outside time i=
t takes to convert a large turf area to a completely chemical free environm=
ent is about three years. (By the way, most parks are used by families with=
 young children. When these people find out that the park is chemical free=
, park usage increases dramatically. It's great PR for any park maintenance=
 staff.)

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE