[compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: David Hall <dchall8_at_texas.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:19:10 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 11/9/2004 5:41:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> dchall8_at_t... writes:
>> That sounds like good mulch to me.  In the Texas Hill Country
>> they are overrun with a juniper they call cedar.  When the
>> cedar tree is completely chipped into a single pile, it makes
>> an incredible mulch that can support growth without further
>> amendment.

> Whoa!  Guys!  Think about what you are saying!  Not as simple as
> you want to make this sound.

If it is not that simple then our local organic radio gurus need to
ask some more questions.  They all give this simple sounding advice
every weekend.  They say the mulch can be applied liberally with no
restrictions.

> Biology is critically important to understand.  You don't just
> chip up cedar and throw it under the trees.  The biology
> has to deal with the cedar tannins and phenols first,
> or you'll have some dead trees.
>
> You have to know about the soil you are putting that amendment
> onto  and you have to properly condition the cedar chips first.
> I've had quite a few clients come to me for help because their
> trees are dying after listening to advice like this that made the
> process sound so simple.
>
> You have to understand biological processes, or you will have dead
> plants.  You might get away with an occassional bono-ism, but your
> luck will run out.

Actually they do chip these trees by the acre and throw the mulch
under the trees by the truckload.  But I know you're saying they
shouldn't.  These are not true cedar trees.  They are junipers.
Does that make a difference?

There is no biological pretreatment that I am aware of.  The trees
are chipped by a vertical chipper that drops down and literally eats
the entire tree to the ground in a minute.  And if I'm not mistaken,
chips are bagged and/or sold immediately.  If our radio gurus are
wrong, I think they would like to know about it.

I realize I'm not making friends or influencing people with my
recent messages, but apparently the air of dissent is fresh and
alive here.  This message happened to go directly into an area where
I'm really trying to learn.  If this fresh "cedar" mulch is not good
to use, there could be a lot of very disappointed orchard owners.

David Hall
San Antonio, TX

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here