Re: [compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:37:35 -0800
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:19:10 -0000, David Hall <dchall8_at_texas.net> wrote:
> --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> > In a message dated 11/9/2004 5:41:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> > dchall8_at_t... writes:
> >> That sounds like good mulch to me.  In the Texas Hill Country
> >> they are overrun with a juniper they call cedar.  When the
> >> cedar tree is completely chipped into a single pile, it makes
> >> an incredible mulch that can support growth without further
> >> amendment.
>
> > Whoa!  Guys!  Think about what you are saying!  Not as simple as
> > you want to make this sound.
>

> If it is not that simple then our local organic radio gurus need to
> ask some more questions.  They all give this simple sounding advice
> every weekend.  They say the mulch can be applied liberally with no
> restrictions.

I do believe that she was objecting to the part where you were saying
that old bedding was good mulch. There is a world of difference
between woodchips and sawdust. And adding high nitrogen to the high
surface area high carbon source makes it very different indeed.

I would be shocked if your local organic radio guru is recommending
that. Though a friend in texas tells me that one of the ones down
there uses his radio spot to promote whatever he gets paid the most to
promote by the program sponsors. It is aparently quite ammusing.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links