Re: [compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:27:31 -0800
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:02:20 +1100, Guth <guthltd_at_mpx.com.au> wrote:
> What sort of mulch?  It must suppress the grass where it is?  We have large
> amounts of sawdust-based horse manure-rich stable waste, and were thinking
> of mulching our small orchard plots with it.  We could probably manage about
> 18 inches depth if we kept at it.  (I hope this question is not too
> off-topic).

I know Elaine already answered this, but here is the simple answer:
No, do not use the old bedding directly as mulch without composting it
first. You just described some great hot compost fixins (add straw and
it is the recipe for mushroom compost) and compost is great mulch, so
get to composting.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here