Re: [compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: Guth <guthltd_at_mpx.com.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:02:20 +1100
David Hall wrote:

> For orchard trees, liberal use of mulch has allowed some of Texas
> Hill Country orchards to go permanently without artificial
> irrigation.  They leave about 18 inches of mulch in rows next to
> (but not touching) the trees and allow grass to grow where ever.
> The trees are sometimes sprayed with molasses and seaweed to keep
> the insects away.  Our soils are prone to cotton root rot here so
> the best organic technique found to prevent it is a product called
> Actinovate.  Dust the roots upon first planting and it seems to
> protect the trees permanently.

What sort of mulch?  It must suppress the grass where it is?  We have large
amounts of sawdust-based horse manure-rich stable waste, and were thinking
of mulching our small orchard plots with it.  We could probably manage about
18 inches depth if we kept at it.  (I hope this question is not too
off-topic).

John Guth

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here