[compost_tea] Re: Rock Dust

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncat.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:17:35 -0000

Titel -

I've read how Jeff and Elaine say that rock
dusts provide a surface for fungal hyphae
to grow on during the ACT brewing process.

ACT is such a new science that we don't know
all that is happening.  It is exciting to see
how many people are using microscopes, plate
cultures, and digital photgraphy to observe
compost teas and microbial cultures.

When rock minerals and rock dusts are amended
to compost piles, we know that micronutrients
function as catalysts for microbially driven
enzymatic reactions.  We know that organic acids and
enzymes produced by microbes help to solubilize and
mineralize the rock minerals to make nutrients more
bioavailable.  We know that organo-mineral and
biotic-mineral complexes and chelates are formed.

I suspect some of this is happening in the
ACT brewing process, but I have nothing to point
to that confirms this.

In addition to epifluorescent microscopy and plate
cultures, it seems that we can use molecular analysis,
elemental analysis, NMR spectroscopy, and gas
chromatography to more fully understand ACTs.

On the other hand, we really don't need to know
all the details.  ACTs and EMs are used as a
generalist approach to biological fertility and
biological control.

Silicates have disease suppressive capacity
by themselves.  If they are supplied by the
clay materials used in the recipe, they might
be adding a complementary dimension.

Best regards,
Steve Diver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Titel Ryzhomer" <thegoodjob@h...>
wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> The clay powders I use do not just provide surface area but also
> serve as a food source for microbes for ACT and EM fermentations.
>
> BTW Ted: the same recipe works just fine as a soil soak. That's all
> I used last season.
>
> They are pyrophyllite, bentonite (azomite), soft rock phosphate. I
> believe they are so effective because of the high silicate content.

> I've said this too many times now so I'll shut up.
>
> If Steve D. feels up to it he may contribute more knowledge
> concerning this than I can.
>
> Cheers,
> Titel

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor