Re: [compost_tea] MICROBIOLOGY TESTING of COMPOST TEAS

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:26:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] MICROBIOLOGY TESTING of COMPOST TEAS

But I would still prefer, as a personal thing, to see no detectable E. coli=
 in the compost or the tea. I know it is entirely possible to routinely m=
ake great compost, if its done right, with no human pathogens detectable in=
 the compost, and thus none in the tea.

I don't think it is possible to make compost in any kind of uncontrolled en=
vironment and not have some pathogens. Even extremely well aerated piles w=
ill have some small anaerobic areas. Maybe in-vessel composting can reduce=
 pathogens to zero but I am unsure about that.

Can people then cause contamination of the tea? Sure, and then the tea has =
E. coli, but it is not because the tea was brewed wrong.

Well, I'm kind of tilting towards a little anaerobism as a good thing even =
in a highly aerobic tea. I don't mean e coli but to get to higher level ba=
cteria, an anaerobic cycle is almost required because certain aerobic bacte=
ria need the enzymes produced by the anaerobes.

Can people have bio-films in the tea brewer that cause problems? Sure, but=
 that's a cleaning issue, just like in any other industry. Milk contaminat=
ed with human pathogens doesn't mean milk is bad, it means there's a cleani=
ng issue somewhere along the line, and that needs to be seen to. We have t=
o have a sensible approach to making tea as well.

Obviously the NOSB is not thinking correctly. I know e coli are everywhere=
 but it appears that they have not done any investigation in the potential =
for e coli and other pathogens to regenerate under certain circumstances. =
I would rather see CT used as a control for pathogens which I have proven w=
orks with biosolids. I do not think it is anyone's interest to accept leve=
ls of pathogens and agree with Elaine that ND is the best way to go. =

Ted Peterson
SOE