Re: [compost_tea] Re: MICROBIOLOGY TESTING of COMPOST TEAS

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:40:32 EST

So Tom, instead of sniping at me, why not develop a positive approach?

What we need to do is have a research project where someone - and why not
the ICTC? - funds a study where the conventional system approach is compared
to compost tea alone (both soil and foliar applications ala SFI approach), to
compost and compost tea applications (copmost for soil applications and tea
for foliar). Use direct methods, plate count methods, PFLA methods, do soil
chemistry as well.

Use the new SFI approach for assessing what soil chemistry will become plant
available in the coming growing season, so you can figure out exactly how
much inorganic fertilizer can be dropped, or how much might still be needed,
based on testing to see what the organisms will be able to do in the soil you
are adding them to?

Have sites in the PNW, in the SW, in the SE, and in the NE. that would
really tie things down. Make sure the study is done with replicated testing.

Instead of constantly harrassing people, why not move ahead to what needs to
be done?

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa