Re: [compost_tea] Re: Greenhouse

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:27:51 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Jaszewski
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 5:55 PM
Subject: [compost_tea] Re: Greenhouse

1. Orchid mycorrhizas
Some types of orchid are non-photosynthetic; others only produce
chlorophyll when they have grown past the seedling stage. In all
cases, the plant depends on sugars derived from a fungal partner for
at least part of its life.

Folks:

This was my understanding also. Orchids need specific companion fungi to be=
 healthy. I didn't know they were considered mycorrhizas. I was curious as=
 to the statement that a single tea made from fungi resident in a compost p=
ile would be beneficial to orchid growth because orchids are actually paras=
itic plants for the most part. Also, I would suspect that a good deal of b=
acteria would also be transferred and I don't have any idea how these would=
 interact with many orchids. I would think the more exotic species would n=
ot be well served by a tea that is beneficial to vegetables, ornamentals an=
d seedlings but I guess I have a lot to learn.

Ted Peterson
SOE