Re: [compost_tea] Re: carbonization

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:39:12 -0500
Hi Steve -

Charcoal is only produced when oxygen is low, when in reduced oxygen conditions?

Are you sure that it isn't just certain types of charcoal are produced under low oxygen conditions?  I'm asking because I am not clear on this.

If what you are saying is true, then when you find charcoal or carbonized materials in compost, it would require that the pile had suffered reduced oxygen, or anaerobic conditions.

Correct?

Or is it that pyrolized charcoal would be produced in these conditions, while possibly a different kind of charcoal would be produced when oxygen was fully present, as in charcoal in one's fireplace?

Looking forward to having this clarified.
--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor