Re: [compost_tea] Re: carbonization

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:23:03 -0800

The process where woody material becomes carbon -- or charcoal -- is called=
 pryolysis. It is the result of too much heat (Usually identified as above=
 165-170 dF.). As far as I know, there are not different types of charcoal=
. Charcoal can be made from a number of different materials though. Outsi=
de of the composting world, carbonization is a term found in coke smelters =
and also found in the chemical world. I started using it after reading som=
e literature that used the term in regards to in vessel composting of sludg=
e and some compost book references. In the On-Farm composting books, they =
talk about pyrolysis, which they identify as the charcoal producing phase, =
and/or spontaneous combustion as the result of too much heat.

Ted Peterson
SOE