Re: [compost_tea] Re: carbonization

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:52:46 -0800

From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Re: carbonization

Absolutely, when charcoal is being formed, nutrients are being lost through=
 volatilization, and organisms are dying because they are being converted t=
o charcoal.

I did not know that charcoal production meant that there was no oxygen pres=
ent or, as Steve points out, oxygen concentration has dropped below some le=
vel.

So, take that as another useful indicator of what happened in someone's pil=
e. If charcoal is present, the pile MUST have gone anaerobic, lost a bunch=
 of nutrients and lost a great deal of the desirable organisms. Can it sti=
ll be called compost?

I wonder what that threshold level of oxygen is? For charcoal to be formed=
, what concentration has oxygen dropped below?

Elaine:

I am curious about something. Last week, you wrote an email giving all you=
r credits as a consultant to several composting operations. Even though yo=
u said you never ran a large operation (I don't blame you for not wanting t=
o do that.) you knew enough about it to consult and give large or small sca=
le composters advice and direction and had several clients who were running=
 quite successful operations based on your guidance.

Most people I work with or consult with understand anaerobic/aerobic condis=
tions in a compost pile and what happens when O2 is restricted and the pile=
 gets too big. Some even know the role moisture plays in the process. But=
 these people are looking for expert consultants who have that chemistry do=
wn and know or can predict with a degree of certainty how a compost pile wi=
ll react at a given size with given materials and moisture/02, etc. They ar=
e looking for consultants who understand the role of CO2 and how regulating=
 O2/CO2 can improve or harm a pile of any size.

So when I see statements like the above, it makes me wonder. Please don't =
take this as a personal attack but I am at a loss as to why I should ask yo=
u anything about composting.

You know, your Compost Tea Brewing Manual and the work you did with the soi=
l food web was really outstanding stuff. Statements like the above and wha=
t they indicate don't equate with the same level of knowledge and show some=
one who should be asking questions not giving answers.

Ted Peterson
SOE