[compost_tea] Re: Mystery Organic Spray

From: Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:13:15 -0000

Does this Turf pro stuff actually kill insects? If so what good
could it possibly be considering the beneficial insects we wish to
have active?

Tim (aka Titel)

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> Hi Gary -
>
> Good numbers of colony formers in your compost.  I wonder if the
fungi are good guys or bad guys?  Do you have any protozoa?

> There's just a touch of a mis-conception in what you are thinking,
however.

> The point of a humic acid product is to provide a food resource
for organisms, especailly fungi in your soil, to grow.  Humic acid
products aren't added to provide the organisms.  That's what your
compost is for - to provide the local, already-adpated set of
organisms.

> Although Turf Pro has some really interesting, and pretty insect-
repellant species of Bacillus in it.  So you are getting a benefit
when you use this product - not only food, but some great insect-
repellers.  Add some to the compost, so you get these good guys in
your compost!

> --
> Elaine Ingham
> President, Soil Foodweb Inc.