Re: [compost_tea] Re: Mystery Organic Spray

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:46:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi Scott - I was not questioning your know how in ACT or SFW, just questioning asking you in effect, how a killem dead product would fit into the scheme of ACT. You are right about fire ants and I have seen aphids greatly reduced. tent caterpillars reduced. So how does ACT affect protozoa? I undertand the microbes are a food for Protozoa. do some of the mivrobes also attact some of the protozoa? Not sure I want to pursue this subject. Bob.

Scott Alexander <daylily_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

Bob Wrote - Scott - have you thought what the soilfoodweb is? Microbes, fungi, protozoa, spiders, ants, worms, . . . . . . . If well made compost tea did this we could not use it. Bob

Hi Bob - I think I know a litttle about soilfoodweb having been in organic gardening for 60 years and CT making for 4 years :-)
BTW - just in case you misunderstood my email
> A person in a daylily group I belong to wrote:-
> "I am currently testing a new product for daylilies. It kills aphids, spider mites, ants, Beatles and it also seems to help slow rust and maybe even kills it.

The Compost tea I make has killed off aphids. I'm not sure about spider mites though. They can be a big problem with daylilies BUT I haven't seen enough damage during the past 3 to 4 years to worry about. I don't know how the CT would help control them because the CT is applied to the farm via overhead sprinklers and spider mites love the dry environment under daylily leaves.

I think I read somewhere that CT also knocks out fire-ant colonies. Is this true?

Regarding daylily rust, I've already menttioned that concentrated CT suppresses it.

I'm still trying to find out exactly what this product is. He mentioned a company called First Enviro. Anyone familiar with a company of that name?

Scott Alexander
Maleny
Australia