Re: [compost_tea] My compost

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:40:37 -0800

If you have a compost pile sitting around for five years, it is probably pr=
etty inactive overall. There are probably active parts but probably a lot =
of inactivity also. Fish heads are a good idea and there is a formula that=
 someone posted that directed how to make an emulsion from them. I'll bet =
if you dig them up, you will see a different story but you give no timeline=
 on when you buried them. If your pile has been around that long, you have=
 plenty of local bacteria but probably not a lot of it is active. Fungal c=
ounts are probably low but without seeing the pile, we can't be sure of tha=
t.

Composted manure is fine. Check to see if the bag you bought at Walmart (A=
 very funny South Park show is about stopping Walmart by killing it's heart=
. I live in a small town and we are fighting to keep one out.) contains a =
percentage of human biosolids. Anyway, composted manures are great and usi=
ng compost with a percentage of human biosolids is fine also. What I would=
 do is take that bag and mix it up with the pile I already have at say 2 pa=
rts of the pile to 1 part of the bag. Get this mixture wet and turn it and=
 let is sit for a week or so. You may want to turn it once during the week.=
  Keep moisture level at a point where you squeeze the stuff and it stays c=
lumped but you cannot squeeze water out. That will distribute the manure fr=
om the bag and help reactivate the pile you have. This should make good co=
mpost for your tea. If the bagged compost or your pile have large stems an=
d trunks, weed them out so you get the smallest particles you can. Say any=
thing over an inch thick and a couple of inches long you want out.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE