"Archiving" University Course Catalogs

Colleagues,

The University Archives of the University of Wisconsin-Madison is
involved  in designing a process to preserve digital version(s) of our
academic catalogs.   We have acknowledged through a set of electronic
records  policy principles that  the preservation of electronic records may
be a distributed responsibility for our institution, and that we would not
attempt to acquire electronic records in all cases or have the capability
within the Archives to maintain them .  Rather, we want to assure that the
records creators maintain an archival copy -- as archivists, not
techno-geeks, use the term.  The Archives would  maintain bibliographic
information about the catalog, and would provide access to the users of a
"true copy" of the catalog.  As we proceed with this effort, it would
greatly help us if we could learn of the efforts of other repositories who
have faced these issues.   Specifically, does anyone have experience with
specifying norms or rules for preservation, access, migration, etc, when
archival responsibility for a set of electronic records is "delegated" to
working departments?"

Thanks,

Frank

J. Frank Cook                     Voice:  608/262-3290
Univ. of Wis.- Madison Archives     FAX:  608/265-2754
B134 Memorial Library          Internet:  jfcook@library.wisc.edu
728 State Street
Madison, WI 53706-1494      My views -- not necessarily the UW's