Re: Archives budget

As for Matt Rauscher's request for what to do with his $500 for
supplies for five months (more money available in July).

I agree with Peter Kurilecz that you should provide information
to departments about having them box and label their materials.
Having worked at several small colleges I think it is reasonable
to expect the departments to box up material, I am quite doubtful
the departments will invest in acid free boxes or folders for you,
and you will be very lucky if any department bothers to inventory
contents. It doesn't hurt to ask for the ideal but I would advise giving
some thought to acceptable alternatives (i.e. the best boxes available
through college purchasing).

I would not be overly concerned about acid free boxes or folders at
this point in time. You know nothing about the source or volume of
materials you might be receiving. I also think that small one/two person
shops on small budgets should not focus on acid-free containment for
modern records in their collections. Save that kind of TLC for 19th century
materials and certain series which you identify as particularly valuable.

I concur with others that reference materials are most useful along
with some tools. For example: small spatula, pH testing pen, light table,
magnifying lens, filmoplast, and a good library cart. I might also buy some
additional storage boxes (not acid-free) to rebox the material which comes
to you in overflowing or battered boxes.

Craig Wright

Craig G. Wright
Associate Curator of Manuscript Acquisitions
Minnesota Historical Society
651.296.7989           craig.wright@mnhs.org

You shall know the truth,
and the truth shall make you mad.