Re: Video Numbering

I strongly recommend considering the separation of  physical control from
intellectual control. Categories the represent content belong in the
intellectual control part of the equation - NOT in the physical control. I
recommend simple sequential numbering - one system (i.e. do NOT have
Commencement be Cxxxx and Reunions be Rxxxx). Content has nothing to do with
the number (besides what about that tape that has the Commencement where
there is a Reunion Concert?). The order of things does not really matter,
nor the formats, nor the size, nor the storage location - these again should
all be in the intellectual control side of things. Hopefully the media will
be stored in a proper environment where space may be a premium and will
probably require different tapes to be stored in a high density fashion - so
any system that forces segregation will become extremely difficult to deal
with. Further, as time goes on other numbering systems may be helpful for
specific projects, grants, remastering, copying, or other activities which
will complicate matters significantly if any other system is used. For
example a VHS copy of a Commencement tape - the master of which is Betacam
SP would be CxxxCopyVHS1?
you get the idea it gets very complicated very quickly - so all materials -
masters, copies, different formats, are sequentially numbered and the
database holds the particulars on any particular item - content by scene,
shot, or reel, media type, accession date, location, and so forth.

jim

Jim Lindner - President
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services Company
Telephone 212-563-1999
www.vidipax.com
Moderator of A/V Media Matters@topica.com