Re: Friends of the Medallion

Lisa-

LC has cataloged these in a record without  a huge amount of information, but says there are 12 volumes in the run, LC card no. 14-013812 . You might contact the New York Historical Society to see if they have any information on the group.

Christine

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY  12538-1499
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Lisa Kochik <lisa.kochik@GTE.NET> 04/28/00 05:47PM >>>
We have in our collection 12 volumes of a set published by the "Circle of Friends of the Medallion in Manhattan," Volume 1 dates 1909, Volume 12 June 1915. The volumes contain a metal medallion of various historic figures (one or two persons depicted on either side of the medallion--i.e. Henry Hudson, Joan of Arc) inset in a thick, stiff "page" with a few pages of historical information about the figure and information about the design on the medallion. There are also a few pages on the "Circle of Friends..." which apparently was dedicated to preserving and encouraging interest in "small sculpture" as an art form. I have not been able to find any other information about these "books" nor the "Circle". Does anyone recognize these and/or have suggestions where I might look for more information?

Lisa Kochik
Local History Librarian
Adriance Memorial Library
93 Market Street