Re: Advice Needed

Keith Longiotti wrote:

""
I have seen numerous job postings that require only a master's in history,
or related fields, but, have also noticed the trend towards preference for
a Certified Archivist. Its a tough call, and depends upon your career
objectives, but in my opion, more is better.
""

As I commented a few months ago, using listings in the SAA Employment
Bulletin as evidence,* there does not appear to be any particular trend for
employers to prefer ACA certification. Out of a total of 37 positions
currently listed there, only 5 mention certification: in three listings
certification is "desireable" or "preferred"; in one it is an option; in
only one is it "required."

As Mr. Longiotti states, for good or ill, the most commonly requested
qualification for a professional archival job is an MLS with archival
coursework.

*http://www.archivists.org/employment/index.html

Thomas J. Wood
Archivist